Wednesday, January 19, 2011

2010 Year in Review: My Top 10

The final piece in my 2010 Year in Review, which includes my Film Log of every film I saw, and my At the Cinema analysis for films watched .. at the cinema, is my Top 10 Films of 2010.

Even though the analysis post looked at all the films I saw in the theatre, I have decided not to include classic films such as "Small Soldiers", "Once Upon a Time in the West" and "The Blues Brothers", all of which would have been in this list otherwise. Enjoy!

10. "Shutter Island", USA, Event George St - 19/03/10
I am by no means a Scorsese fan, in fact I despised "The Departed", but apart from a slightly poor ending, I thoroughly enjoyed the mood he established here.


9. "Toy Story 3", USA, Event George St - 09/07/10
I wasn't brought to tears like many reviewers have mentioned, and it's essentially the same film as the second, but it's really enjoyable.

8. "Mai Mai Miracle", Japan, ACMI @MIFF - 28/07/10
I don't remember much of the story, but I definitely remember how I felt watching this great animation, swept up in a mesmerising adventure. The film played for 7 months in Japan!

7. "Four Lions", UK, Greater Union Melbourne City @MIFF - 28/07/10
Listed in Time Magazines top 10 films of 2010, seeing it in a packed out crowd at MIFF was one of the most memorable experiences of the year. I could barely breathe from laughing so hard!

6. "The Messenger", USA, Palace Chauvel - 23/12/10
Two fantastic performances, from two underrated actors. A great film and I eagerly await Moverman's 2nd feature. The final film I saw in the year of 2010, and it was worth the wait

5. "I Killed My Mother", Canada, Dendy Newtown @PossibleWorlds - 08/08/10
Written when he was just 16 years old, directed by and starring Xavier Nolan, it is an astounding film from such a young artist. Loved it! Can't believe I haven't seen "Heartbeats" yet.

4. "Boy", New Zealand, ACMI @MIFF - 28/07/10
I loved "Eagle vs Shark" but this was really a step up for Waititi. Both hilarious and moving. And Michael Jackson. (3 films from 28th July made the Top 10, a great day of cinemagoing!)

3. "The Road", USA, Event George St - 02/02/10
A haunting film that I adored in the theatre. Casting numerous Wire cast members is always going to be a plus, tremendous music and atmosphere.

2. "Ha Ha Ha", Korea, Forum Theatre @MIFF - 27/07/10
Perfect film from Hong Sang-soo. To me "Oki's Movie" wasn't as funny and "The Day He Arrives" wasn't as moving. This was just the right balance. The 1st film we programmed for Cinema on the Park

1. "Hello Stranger", Thailand, Event George St - 06/11/10
The perfect blend of my 2 favourite national cinemas, Thai and Korean. A packed out premiere crowd made it a terrific experience. Hilarious, romantic, inspiring and yet so simple, it is apparently the 1st Thai film distributed in Australia. Long live Thai-Korea Coproductions!

Kieran Tully
Follow Me @TullysRecall

No comments:

Post a Comment